Decarbonisation by energy importers presents an opportunity for Australia to leverage the know-how, capability, infrastructure and supply chains of our existing LNG industry, and build on our world-class renewable energy resources to establish a global leading position in the nascent Hydrogen Export industry.
Much like the efforts that supported the LNG Export industry four decades ago, development of the Hydrogen export industry will require Export-class infrastructure systems, operations and procedures to be defined over the next decade.
This is the core mission of Program 2 Hydrogen Export, which will focus on addressing the following research challenges:
- Processing and delivery methods for cost-effective large-scale Hydrogen Export
- Target Export markets, including key applications and requirements
- Supply chain architecture, design and operations
- Export-class systems and technologies for hydrogen production, storage and delivery
- Mapping future world-scale hydrogen export regions
The supply chain architecture component will balance Hydrogen Exports with domestic requirements, and the opportunity to integrate national electricity and natural gas networks, for increased reliability, energy security, affordability and decarbonisation.